Nearly as good as an oil thread: diode boards

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ME 109

Re: Nearly as good as an oil thread: diode boards

Post by ME 109 »

PITAPan wrote: It's Harlan Ellisons fault.

Whatsa, "..member FH"?

I didn't get most of that, but I'm sober too. (sadly)
....former Boxerworks member Fun Holiday, aka Super Shaft. I think you two are acquainted.

"didn't get most of that" ....... never mind, but it was factual. Except for the ponies, and the rivers are more like creeks.
Lord of the Bings
PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

ME 109 wrote:

Whatsa, "..member FH"?

....former Boxerworks member Fun Holiday, aka Super Shaft. I think you two are acquainted.

"didn't get most of that" ....... never mind, but it was factual. Except for the ponies, and the rivers are more like creeks.
Acquainted? One of the unseen ones??? More than 40 there, only 3 here(so far)...it's a slow board.
hzbloke

Post by hzbloke »

I tested the diode board as per Rob Frankham's instructions. All is well. And it's the original board - built 11/85. I cleaned terminals until I had all things bright and beautiful. I put in another regulator. And I still have 13.7 volts. I tested the alternator and was up to 17 volts when I stopped. I'm gunna try candles and chanting next.
1986 BMW R65
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2019 Kawasaki Z900rs
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Harlan Ellison has been bandied about here in the past.

Of course, so was Funholiday.

Chuey
PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

hzbloke wrote:I tested the diode board as per Rob Frankham's instructions. All is well. And it's the original board - built 11/85. I cleaned terminals until I had all things bright and beautiful. I put in another regulator. And I still have 13.7 volts. I tested the alternator and was up to 17 volts when I stopped. I'm gunna try candles and chanting next.
17 volts at the battery? Methinks there is something not right with that voltage regulator.
hzbloke

Post by hzbloke »

17 volts before the regulator
1986 BMW R65
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2019 Kawasaki Z900rs
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

PITAPan wrote:just some randon thots':

Great post thanx, confirms much of what I have concluded over the years. Nice to read. :)
Any and all disclaimers may apply
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

PITAPan wrote:
ME 109 wrote:

Whatsa, "..member FH"?

Acquainted? One of the unseen ones??? More than 40 there, only 3 here(so far)...it's a slow board.
Just search 'camshaft' threads on ADV to experience funholiday AKA Supershaft in all his glory. He was banned from the board, he is one of those opinionated SOBs who filled this board with so much aggro, that many other knowledgeable participants left. To a great degree he has done the same to ADV.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

ME 109 wrote:

*As SS (Supershaft) (former Boxerworks member FH :shock: ) says, prime the circuit before starting.

No, when you rebuild a top end only you do NOT prime the circuit. You build using assembly paste. What is the point of washing off your nice high pressure high moly lube with ordinary oil before your first start? Your oil circuits are full of oil (unless you drained the cooler) and the assembly lube will last until the pressure comes up---and beyond if it isn't washed off. If you do not use assembly lube and try to just "prime" it by spinning the engine, your camshaft gets to run pretty dry until you get oil pressure, not to mention your rockers and valve stem tips. They're near the end of the line. That's why you use assembly lube. If you pre-lube those parts before spinning the engine every start, your engine life increases 3 times (numbers vary but it's a lot). This is why expensive engines have expensive pre-oiler systems.

Talking with some newbs back channel about some bit of crap SS just tried feeding them, I was impressed that more than a few had already caught on just watching some exchanges with the guy.
PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

chasbmw wrote: Just search 'camshaft' threads on ADV to experience funholiday AKA Supershaft in all his glory. He was banned from the board, he is one of those opinionated SOBs who filled this board with so much aggro, that many other knowledgeable participants left. To a great degree he has done the same to ADV.
The guy is a garden variety troll. He craves attention and stirs up shit so he can be in the center of the controversy. I also suspect he plays the iconoclast because he thinks it makes him look smarter or more sophisticated. Basic head case.

ADV has a rather large number of significantly nasty people. Not trolls really but the kind that likes putting someone down to try to build themselves up. And there is also a fragile ego underlying that---they themselves feel put down in the presence of someone they otherwise admire. It's a pretty sick dynamic---much more advanced head case. "knowledgeable" people leave because they get tired of being attacked by the same people that are frantically taking notes. The structure of the forum leaves these people a lot of scope so they accumulate. I don't see them on other forums, they get booted pretty quick. I do see people on other forums advising to avoid ADV, and it's this garbage they are talking about. It's a shame but like craigslist it got huge by making a playground for asshats and it can afford to alienate an aweful lot of people and still be big. The owners bottom line is they would rather be big than good. Vote with your clicks.